I just saw a news story on our Yahoo service that says the new, spiral, energy saving light bulbs contain mercury. 5Mg. I grabbed the box we have downstairs and sure enough there is a label that says, "LAMP CONTAINS MERCURY. Manage in accord with disposal laws."
Only problem is there are no universal disposal laws.
The following website (if you scroll way down and click on a link) gives some information on proper disposal, but not a lot. Double bag. Don't vacuum if a bulb breaks on a hard surface. Open a fricking window.
The EPA in a pathetic effort to placate concerns, says the amount of mercury in the bulbs is just a teeny bit, "no bigger than the tip of a pen." It goes on to say,roughly paraphrased, "Waaaaay more mercury was in those glass thermometers of days gone by."
I was really excited about these new bulbs. It seemed like an easy way to save energy and help the environment. But if they are just going to contaminate our landfills with hazardous waste, and our air when they are... whoops, accidentally incinerated,no thanks.
To read what effect mercury exposure might have on a person click the following:
"Symptoms include these: tremors; emotional changes (e.g., mood swings, irritability, nervousness, excessive shyness); insomnia; neuromuscular changes (such as weakness, muscle atrophy, twitching); headaches; disturbances in sensations; changes in nerve responses; performance deficits on tests of cognitive function."
You don't say?
It also causes "damage to the GI tract, skin rashes, dermatitis;(more) mood swings, and mental disturbances?"
Hmmm... Imagine that?
I'll go old school and bring back the round bulbs. I'm not risking my kids being exposed to a dropped bulb. We've come too far for that.
P.S. If this post looks a bit unpolished, blogger won't let me change my font, work my spell check, do my italics, add a link, etc. From time to time it likes to mess with me. Whatever, blogger. See if I care.